- Post 14 March 2013
- By ADW Staff
- Hits: 562
The world's tallest professional basketball player, Paul "Tiny" Sturgess, will add 7-feet 8-inches to the Atlanta skyline when he leads the Harlem Globetrotters for two games on Saturday, March 16. The famous team will play at Philips Arena (1 p.m.) and The Arena at Gwinnett Center (7:30 p.m.).
Here are some facts and figures about Sturgess:
• He was officially recognized on Nov. 17, 2011, by Guinness World Records as the World's Tallest Professional Basketball Player
• Born and raised in Loughborough, England
• Wears a size 20 shoe
• Grew a foot between the ages of 16 & 17
• Father is 6-9 and mother is only 5-5
• Excellent soccer player (or football as he would call it)
• Loves to play golf with his custom-made clubs and crushes 360-yard drives
• Played college basketball at Mountain State University in West Virginia (class of 2011)
• Helped Mountain State to two regional championships
• Made the dean's list in college three times
• Wants to be a physiotherapist after his basketball career
Sturgess will team up with Jonte "Too Tall" Hall, the shortest Globetrotter ever at 5-2. Other stars scheduled to play in Atlanta include Flight Time Lang, Special K Daley, and female star T-Time Brawner.
Sponsored by Howard Johnson Hotels, Wonderful Pistachios, Greyhound Lines, Spalding, and Russell Athletic, the Original Harlem Globetrotters are celebrating their 87th consecutive year, continuing a world famous tradition of ball handling wizardry, basketball artistry, and family entertainment.
Proud inductees of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, the Globetrotters have entertained hundreds of millions of fans—among them popes, kings, queens, and presidents—over more than eight decades.
Tickets are on sale now at www.harlemglobetrotters.com, www.ticketmaster.com, each arena box office, or by phone at 800-745-3000. Information on group and scout tickets can found by calling Philips Arena Group Sales at 866-715-1500, option 4 or The Arena at Gwinnett Center group sales at 770-813-7533.